Sunday, December 30, 2007

Round-Up: December 30

Here is a round-up of today's Bestiaria Latina blog posts (you can browse through previous round-ups at the Bestiaria Latina Blog archives). I'll be taking a week off for the New Year to get my classes ready for spring semester (for those of you who don't know, my real job has nothing to do with Latin - I teach online courses in Myth-Folklore, World Literature and Indian Epics at the University of Oklahoma). So, I'll see you back online a week from today. For now: Happy New Year!

AudioLatinProverbs.com: Today's proverb is Annus producit, non ager. In English: The year brings the yield, not the field. Listen to the audio, and ponder the meaning of this proverb for the new year to come!

Vulgate Verses. The Vulgate Verses book is now available (from Lulu Publishers), and I'm adding Study Guides at the Vulgate Verses blog. The Study Guide I've added today is for Group 14, and it includes a good saying about the role of proverbs in our lives: Verba sapientium sicut stimuli.

Latin Holiday Songs. This is the last holiday song that I'll be posting at the eClassics ning. For the New Year, I've chosen Auld Lang Syne, a Latin translation of the famous Scottish song by Robert Burns.

So, HAPPY NEW YEAR, and here is a Scottish drinking cup or "quaich" featuring the words Auld Lang Syne: